RI BAKER MIDDLE SCHOOL
SKI TRIP GENERAL INFORMATION
- You need to be at the school by 6:15 am. Buses will be leaving by 6:30 am sharp. We can not wait for those that are late.
- You are expected to ride the same bus to and from Castle Mountain Resort. You need to be on the bus no later than 3:30 pm, which means off the hill at 3:00 pm. Do not be late, buses will not wait.
- We will be arriving back at the school by 5:30 pm. Parents will need to be at the school for pick up at that time. Students will not be let into the school to call for pick up.
- Castle Mountain is open to the public on the day of our trip, so all lifts will be operating. The day lodge has a restaurant, change rooms and an eating area. Take all your belongings to the lodge, do not leave them on the bus. Do not take along valuables, such as cell phones or other devices. Please bring a bag lunch and a snack (food can be expensive at the hill).
- Upon arrival at the hill, everyone remains on the bus until instructed otherwise.
- Do not wear your ski clothing on the bus as you could get very warm. You may want a change of clothes as you could get wet on the hill. Wear comfortable, flexible clothing (NO JEANS).
- Attach your tow ticket to an article of clothing that you will be wearing all day and attach it to a pocket zipper, not your main zipper as it will be hitting you in the face.
- All students and staff will wear a green ribbon for easy identification on the hill.
- People who have skied before are asked to help out others with riding the lift etc.
- Make sure at the end of the day you return all your rental equipment to the shop and be sure that you return the properly numbered equipment. You are financially responsible for that equipment.
- If you wish to purchase a snake for the ride home, please do so well ahead of time and do not leave any garbage on the hill.
THURSDAY MORNING STUDENTS WILL MEET IN ASSIGNED CLASSROOMS. THESE WILL BE POSTED AND STUDENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED BEFORE THE TRIP.
ACCIDENT AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
- Ski under control at all times. If you are skiing recklessly or out of control you risk injury and loss of privileges. Your lift ticket may be revoked.
- NEVER SKI ALONE
- Beginners are advised to use the ‘bunny hill', the green lift. Don't be tempted by your friends who are stronger skiers. Only ski where your ski instructor indicates.
- When skiing downhill or overtaking another skier, you must avoid the skier below.
- If you stop, stop in a visible location and do not block a trail.
- If you fall, try to fall on your side. Sitting down on your backside or falling backwards can put you into an uncontrolled slide.
- Obey all signs and stay on the marked trails. Don't ski the trees or enter areas outside the boundaries.
- You must check in with the supervising teacher during lunch hour (supervisor located in the lodge).
- Remember supervising teachers and parents will be skiing as well. Look for adults with the green ribbon.
In case of an accident:
- One person needs to stay with the injured person
- Someone needs to climb or walk uphill a good distance and cross their skis so the injured skier can be seen by all oncoming skiers.
- Someone will need to report the injury to a lift operator or ski patrol, recognizable by their castle mountain logo. Tell them you are with the RI Baker group and give them the name of the lodge supervisor Mrs. Huscroft or Mrs. Kabi. Tell them the location of the injured person by letting them know which lift you went up. If you can, name the run you were on and if possible, name the tower number nearby.